Thursday, February 20, 2014

I Have Nothing to Hide

Diminishing privacy is absolutely terrifying to me. But like many people, I tend to see it as mostly an inevitable fact of life. I accept that I am constantly providing details about myself to the world, and cling to the hope that it won't somehow turn around and bite me in the end. No one should be completely ambivalent and not have a care in the world though. In an age of rapidly expanding identity theft it is ignorant to ignore how accessible our personal details are. Beyond the fact that some psycho could probably find you and kill you if they desired, there is also simply the fact that important and revealing things concerning your job, you, and those you care about is at least somewhat accessible to anyone who would want to do harm to you. Without a barrier between the public and private realms we have no place to be entirely comfortable and rest before returning to the public realm, suddenly it is all public and this can be a scary combination of exhausting and exhilarating.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is terrifying how much information a person gives out on the internet, but what terrifies me even more is how easily that information can be accessed by the public. I feel that a big portion of responsibility is on the poster. They make the choice of how much they want to share and they should know the potential consequences that follow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything that has been stated above. What is shocking to me is how many internet users, mostly children and older adults, do not know how public the information they are posting is. Even the information that we believe is private, is actually the opposite. I think big businesses should be the leaders in reviving our privacy. Why, because of the implications of hackers and criminal activity.

    ReplyDelete